sexta-feira, 29 de abril de 2011

Tale of a little boy's blanket

Remember this? 


It's the boys' blanket, that started out as a hexagon blanket and ended up a granny stripe... Mom fell in love with it and decided to pick up crochet again so she "hijacked" my WIP and started working on it. Like me, it helps her keep calm in times of hardship and she's been having a lot of that with my stepfather's illness.

So... with a little coaching here and there, she's been working steadily and here it is again--it's coming along beautifully!

This is how it was...



But then it started to get too big to carry around and take to the hospital, so I had an idea... Why not add some granny squares...?


And here's the result, I think it is looking quite nice, don't you?
She can now take make squares and more squares as she goes to the hospital with her husband and waits for hours until he's ready to go back home--and come home to join them :)


She will probably make at least another round of squares for the blanket to reach a reasonable size.


And from the look of it, I think pretty soon I'll have to set up another WIP for Mom to work on :) Great job, Mom!

10 comentários:

  1. This is such a great blanket. I have some little boy blankets that I am making and I am always confused about what colors to use. I like your idea! It's bright and colorful, but still boyish!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I love this idea of adding a granny square border and it is looking great. Beautiful work Terea's mum x

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Hi Teresa
    The blanket is so bright and cheerful!! Surely it will lift her spirits to work on it at the hospital. Besides, crochet is so calming. Last year when my husband had his mini stroke and spent 4 days in the hospital, I grabbed yarn and a needle to work on something while I was there with him. When I got home, I thought "what the heck is THIS! and tore it all out". But I was relaxed while I was working on it!

    Best wishes, peace and happiness sent your way today.
    xx, Carol

    ResponderEliminar
  4. its amazing and so fun brigth colors ,its good for youre mom to have something to focus on while dealing with his ilness :/

    love Valeria

    ResponderEliminar
  5. That's a beautiful blanket, I love the bright colours :-)

    ResponderEliminar
  6. I love the squares as a border. Great portable idea.
    Feel Good.
    Merediht

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Thank you all (in Mom's name!) :) it's doing her really well to make this. I usually say that when I knit or crochet my worries get trapped in between the stitches and leave me alone :)
    xx

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I love the addition of the granny squares to the granny stripe. It is absolutely gorgeous! Isn't it wonderful to have a portable hobby -- sure helps to pass the time. I've yet to master the granny square but have been whipping up lots of granny stripes for babies. Best wishes to you and your mom and stepfather. Blessings, Tammy

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Great idea to add the granny square border, I love the colours in this blanket

    ResponderEliminar

It's always great to read your comments! :) Thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... Pin It